Monday, November 8, 2010

Comments on "Immigration Reform in The US"

In Mr. Matthews' editiorial, "Immigration reform in the U.S," he provides background and an interesting stance on the issue of illegal immigration. First and foremost, I would like to say that I think this is an excellent editorial and that it was very well written. It provides an interesting stance on the issue of illegal immigration (although not necessarily the side that I would take) and provides logical arguments to support the stance. Additionally, I liked how you provided background on how the current political climate is not very attentive to sensitive issues such as illegal immigration, and I agree completely that SOMEONE needs to bring this issue into the forefront of political debate and concoct a solution.

Although I think this is a great editorial, I will say that the stance I take on this issue is very different from yours. Illegal immigration is not something to be taken lightly; it is a very complex problem and there is no simple solution for it because it is a problem on multiple levels of society. It is an ethical problem; illegal immigration is illegal (duh) and people who do it ARE breaking the law. It is a social problem; people are being racially profiled in a country that is supposed to provide and promote equality for all. And lastly, it is an economic problem; these immigrants are taking jobs that americans could potentially be held by an American citizen. I think that different understandings of the situation create different viewpoints, and from my personal experience I would take a different approach on the issue. Putting fines on businesses who employ illegal immigrants may make jumping the border less appealing, but it also in effect would criminalize a lot of hardworking American businesses, something that I think employers should not have to worry about on top of this economic crisis. Additionally, I know from experience that while the unemployment rate is high in the United States, most Americans are too prideful to take up low paying jobs that a lot of illegal immigrants hold, so if we kicked them out it would be more detrimental to businesses than it would be good. Ultimately, the policy as it is now is criminalizing a group of the American population, illegal as the may be, that works hard and takes jobs that Americans don't want.

Anyways, despite having a different opinion on illegal immigration, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article and look forward to reading your posts in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment